Monday, July 7, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-ch-chaaaaaan-ges

It's been awhile. So, faithful readers (be ye any?), I give you a brief update on my life.

1) I am recently back from a glorious week and a half in Ormond Beach, FL, where I devoted most of my time to perfecting my frisbee throw, reading a book a day, and getting browner than anyone who doesn't know me in the summertime would believe (that's the thing about my skin; it's surprisingly versatile). The rest of my time was spent trying to hush the guilt that such a long period of worthlessness inevitably brings. My primary line of defense was that surely I deserved this period of unadulterated chill after the black hole of joy that was, so often, my final collegiate semester. It worked. Some of the time.

2) I am a little over a month away from My Big Move to Rwanda. That means, in short, that I have got to get some serious stuff in gear. My preparation so far has consisted of reading several books about the country. Oh, and I made an Africa mix for my Ipod. Which is crucial, but it won't protect me from yellow fever, so I should probably do something about those shots soon.

*In a related note, National Geographic seems to be forecasting my travel plans. Weeks before I left for China, this showed up in our mail. Now, with Rwanda on this horizon, this month we get one with this on it, with the question "Who Murdered the Mountain Gorillas?" The article was mainly about Rwanda's neighbor, the Dem. Rep. of Congo, but Rwanda is also famous for it's mountain gorillas and was included in the article. Weird, no? They didn't predict my trip to Florida, but I guess they can be forgiven for that.

and, most (de?)pressingly...

3) I am officially less than two weeks away from being the sister of Mrs. Jennifer Locke.

I think this picture says it best.















(For anyone missing the parallel, I'm the one on the left).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, while you are preparing to Move To Rwanda, I feel compelled to remind you that the name Wendy was popularized by Barrie's "Peter Pan," that Wes Anderson's newest film, "The Darjeeling Limited," is available for purchase at your local video store, that Jane Austen died on July 18, 1817, and that, yes, I will miss you.