Tuesday, March 31, 2009

You got any better ideas?



Exhausted from trying to make important decisions about my future, I’ve decided to do what any good leader/educator does best: delegate.

My students’ next assignment: a persuasive essay entitled “What Should Ms. Merrill Do With Her Life?”

All good writers consider their audience when writing. For this assignment, the audience is incredibly simple and specific--me. For each proposed life path, students will have to determine the short term benefits and long term effects. Basically, they will engineer my five year plan. Those wishing to go above and beyond may research 401K’s and Roth IRA’s for my paltry sum of cash, ensuring that I won’t, one day, die broke. I’d rather leave number-crunching and finance-dissecting to the math types, anyway.

Sure, I expect a large number of puerile responses--”join the circus,” or “breed golden retriever/poodle hybrids” or “never set foot in a classroom again,” or what have you. But when it gets right down to it, I’m starting to suspect that thirty-six 13 to 18 year olds have as good an idea as I do (or better) about the direction my life should take.

The best essay will receive a 348% and my undying gratitude. Plus, bragging rights and a rare sense of fulfillment--it’s not often that a student gets to choose the trajectory of an “adult’s” life.

2 comments:

Lee said...

love it! Can't wait to hear what they suggest!

Alex said...

This is a great idea. All that talk of child-wisdom has to have some merit.