Friday, September 4, 2009

Sing out loud. Sing out strong.




So, I was driving home the other night, flipping through the radio, when I happened across an old Broadway show tune station. Hearkening back to my high school musical theater days, I enthusiastically--some might say dangerously (my right foot tends to get a whole lot heavier when I sing in the car)--sang along. Whilst doing so, I had an epiphany:

I really, really love to sing.

Now, this should come as no surprise to anyone who's known me longer than five minutes. By most estimations, I sing a lot--for the most part, unconsciously (it's just something I can't really help). But singing in the car, it struck me just how much I'd been neglecting this part of myself. I couldn't remember the last time I just sang, to the cars in my garage or to my shower wall, because I can, because I'm not dead, because it gives me more joy than just about anything else. And I could only ask myself...why not?

Why do I need to be reminded to do something that I love?

Before I was an esteemed scholar of the English language, I was a childhood subscriber to Highlights magazine. Highlights is proabably best known for introducing the world to the cartoon Goofus and Gallant, contrasting Gallant, the paragon of manners and tact, with Goofus, his belligerent, socially retarded counterpart. I, however, was especially fond of the advice section on the magazine's last page. Highlights to me represented the sum total of all wisdom, and I drafted many a frustrated query that never quite made it to the mailbox. Anyways, one question in particular from a mixed-up childhood contemporary has always stuck with me. It went something like this:

Dear Highlights,

I want to sing, but I don't know any songs. What should I do?

That question just breaks my heart, for several reasons. First of all, it's hard to believe that anyone is ever so young and innocent that their most pressing concern for an advice columnist is tips on what songs to sing. But secondly, and more importantly...isn't that kind of where everyone is stuck?

We want to express ourselves, and we don't know how. We want to tell our story, and we don't know the words. We want to dance, and we don't know how to move. We want to do so. many. things. And the fear of the unknown just stops the song.

I don't know a lot. I think it's a twentysomething rite of passage--or probably, just a human one--to question everything you've ever believed and to re-evaluate everything you've ever wanted to be. At least, I hope it is. But I do know this: I need to sing more. I've never been good at focused or regimented prayer, like I've never been good at sticking to anything. But I'm beginning to think that focused, active time spent in song could be the truest thing I could offer of myself, and therefore the best possible prayer I could give. I don't know. Maybe. It's not much, but it's the surest step in the right direction that I know to take right now.
I just pray I have the resolve to follow my song.

2 comments:

Jenn Locke said...

Reading this in my weepy mood got me weepy again. What beautiful thoughts, Jess! I told Ryan about that Highlights a while ago. The INNOCENCE. . .the PURITY. . .bahhh! Emotions, emotions.

Unknown said...

ooooooooooohhhh you're so cute. and it's nice to have a COMMENT!