Friday, August 29, 2008

This is the view from classroom.


And, if you must know, it is the view I am looking at this very moment.

Well, that and the literary term posters on my back wall that absolutely refuse to hang in right angles.

The picture really doesn't do it justice. I could try to describe it, but I would end up sounding like some cheesy voice-over in a movie, read by an actress who thinks she knows how to do a Southern accent. So I'll leave it at this: it's lovely. At night, when the hills are covered in lights, it's stunning, even. Perfect for sitting in a lounge chair, sipping red wine or black coffee, and reading Wordsworth.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the aforementioned activities were written into my contract with the school. Instead, I seem to recall something about teaching high school--a job for which, to be honest, I feel completely inadequate. Which probably explains why I am blogging right now instead of planning to teach four levels of English.

Still, I am hoping for some kind of spiritual, organic communion with the hills and the sky outside my door, to energize my teaching efforts and (maybe) make 9th graders care about The Odyssey. Isn't there some scripture about looking to the hills for help?

Dear Lord, I sound more New Age-y everyday.

I guess it doesn't help that I just had a full-length tye-dye dress made for me.

...this kind of mind is not ideal for curriculum-planning.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

I love the view from your room!!! Just don't stare out the window too much (spoken like a true Mom)! I can't wait to hear all about your "Meet the Teacher/Parents" night. Plus I want to see pics of your house, your tye-dye dress, etc., etc., etc.

Love you Sweetie!

Alex said...

The aforementioned dress needs to make an appearance on this blog soon.