Sunday, December 14, 2008

O Magnum Mysterium

Well, friends, it's been awhile. Forgive me. You'll notice I tend to follow a pattern in my blogging life: a month or so of dormancy, followed by a brief storm of creative energy and productivity, and then back to silence. A quick update: since the despondency of my last post, I have traveled to Uganda for Thanksgiving, rafted the Nile, had my very first car accident, become all too familiar with Rwanda's police force and bureaucratic, depressing insurance processes, had my passport stolen (along with all the other contents of my purse), and almost successfully completed my first semester of teaching. That brief outline will have to suffice--for those of you concerned about items 3 and 5, just know that I am fine, all is well, and I lost nothing that can't be replaced.

Anyways. This is a rather cheap return to blog form, but I thought of this song earlier today and had the urge to share it with everyone. It's always been one of my favorite choral songs, and getting the chance to sing it my senior year of college was one of the most transcendent musical experiences I've ever had. The loose translation of the song is this:

O great mystery and admirable [wonderful] sacrament

That animals see the Lord born
Lying in a manger.

Blessed virgin whose viscera [womb]
Were [was] worthy to bear Lord Christ.
Allelujah.


I thought it fitting, considering the season. If you have a beating heart, the minor chord at 2:58 should stop it, momentarily. Hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

Allyson said...

Beautiful!

Lucas said...

It is good to have you back. Does this mean that you are feeling less despondent? I hope so.

Alex said...

Sometimes I enjoy your labels just as much as the post.